Highlights from this month’s Massachusetts Jobs Update include:
- Massachusetts added 7,500 jobs in December. This follows a revised November employment loss of 3,200, which is a loss of 2,100 jobs more than was initially reported.
- Massachusetts’ year-over-year (December ’11 – December ’12) job growth total is 51,600. The state posted a year-over-year job growth rate of 1.6%, slightly above the U.S. rate of 1.4%.
- Massachusetts’ December unemployment rate ticked up by one-tenth of a point to 6.7%, the state’s highest rate since February 2012. The statewide rate continues to be well below the U.S. rate of 7.8%.
- Seven of 12 state regions added jobs in December, led by the addition of 2,000 jobs in the Greater Boston region. Eleven of 12 regions added jobs year-over-year with the largest percentage gains seen in the Pioneer Valley, North Shore, and Greater Boston regions, respectively.
- Education & Health Services sector posted the largest monthly private sector job gains (+3,800 jobs) at the state level in December, followed by Leisure & Hospitality (+3,200), and Construction (+1,400).